I am very tentatively playing around with fruit (I’ll write a separate post as to why soon – basically, like sooo many things, there is much contradictory information out there as to whether fruit is a good or bad thing for diabetics, and anyone who might be watching their sugar consumption in general… which really means all of us ;)
Anyhoo, as such, I am sorta “hiding” it in things that I know won’t make my blood sugars go too crazy… fats and fibre are well known to “bumper” the release of sugar / carbs into your system, hence why I use both lots.
I also like that this particular blend has a good mixture of healthy fats (via the flax seed/oil & chia – both healthy, omega three based fats), protein, and a little carbs/sugars from the fruits… though both the ones I used are pretty low carb/sugar still whilst I’m experimenting.
Oh, and a little bit of a wake up zing via the cacao nibs ;-)
So, the recipe is:
- 1 tablespoon of chia, soaked for at least twenty minutes; I leave mine in a little water before I go to bed
- 350 mls almond milk
- 1 tablespoon of ground flax (I like the Linwoods cacao & berries one)
- 1 tablespoon of pea protein powder (I use the Pulsin’ one)
- 1-2 teaspoon(s) of raw cacao nibs
- 1 teaspoon of flax oil
- 1/2 teaspoon of konjac fibre (this is brilliant at keeping blood sugars stable – I will write a separate post on it! :)
- 1 fig
- Small handful of raspberries
All whizzed up in a high speed blender; et voila! It is *super* filling and will definitely see you through till lunch! If you were omitting fruits completely (I did for the first six months – and as I mentioned above, am still undecided about them…) then you can make this without the fruit and maybe play around by adding some cinnamon or vanilla – however you make it, enjoy – and share your variations in the comments below! xo